Math Task Cards and the Teacher Center

Well, it took a little bit longer than I expected, but my new Math Task Cards are finally all finished and ready to go! Last year, I created a full-year set of Enrichment Task Cards, pictured below, to use at my Teacher Center during my 6th grade math workshop. I found these enrichment problems extremely useful and engaging for any of my students who grasped the basic concept quickly and needed a challenge.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Math-Enrichment-Full-Year-Bundle-6th-Grade-Math-Task-Cards-1544508

What I didn't have, was a good method to display/give the more basic problems to these students - the problems that I use to determine if each students understands the basic concept. I had tried writing them on the board behind me and writing them on a mini-white board and holding it... both of which were annoying and sucked a lot of prep time out of my day (having to think of and write these problems every day!). That's when I decided to start making a set of more basic task cards (as opposed to my Enrichment Task Cards) for my students to use. That way I could give them the basic task card to work on first and if they finished that one easily, I could hand them the enrichment task card. Just recently, I finished up all twelve sixth grade math units and included them all in my Math Task Cards Full-Year Bundle. So far, it has worked out great! Here is a shot of the cards set out and ready for my students!

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Math-Task-Cards-Full-Year-Bundle-6th-Grade-Math-2273242

I love how convenient and easy to distribute these cards are. Although it takes a little extra time, I usually try to cut, round the corners (with a corner rounder from Target), and laminate my copies. Since I use them within the math workshop structure, I only need six copies of each - since my largest group has six students. I have found the extra step of laminating, as you teachers all know well, saves a lot of time in the long run! By the way, if you are curious about the dry-erase table... be sure to check out my post about how I turned my front table into this fun classroom work space!

Here is another shot of these task cards up close. The topics span a whole range of math concepts... multiplying/dividing decimals and fractions, ratios, percents, algebraic expressions, equations, geometry, probability, and more! I use these with my 6th graders, but they could also be used in 5th or 7th grade for different students. If you are curious about the level of the cards, I would recommend checking out my first unit for free, which focuses on decimals and exponents!

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Math-Task-Cards-Full-Year-Bundle-6th-Grade-Math-2273242

*Update: With my transition to teaching 8th grade math, in addition to 6th grade, I created task cards for 8th grade math as well! You can check out the two full-year sets at the following links!


I hope you all have a great second half of the year!

No comments :

Post a Comment